Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

heart caths, karaoke, and God's goodness

I didn't tell many people this, but dad had a heart cath last Thursday. I knew the procedure itself was necessary - when it comes to your health (or your dad's health) it's better to know upfront what you might be dealing with, am I right? But just because something is good doesn't mean it's easy. And it definitely doesn't mean it's not scary. 

So when the results of his heart cath came back clear, all of us Furnish girls breathed a huge sigh of relief and thanked our Father for not just good news, but the best news.

And then Friday night we had a good ole fashioned pizza party at mom and dad's house to celebrate. While us girls were working in the kitchen and the kids were playing with all the toys, dad started pulling up some music videos of songs we LOVED when we were younger, songs we would belt at the top of our lungs while my parent's drove all our friends home from youth group in the church van. Youth group girls, you know what songs I'm talking about.


Evolution by Geoff Moore and The Distance


If You Could See What I See by Geoff Moore and The Distance


Jesus Will Still Be There by Point of Grace


Big House by Audio Adrenaline

First of all, these songs have music videos? Yes, yes they do. Second, we still knew ALL THE WORDS! (Side note: why do I remember words to songs from 15 years ago and can't remember what I had for breakfast and where I put my keys? This is a mystery my husband will never understand.) 


This is from Easter, not from Friday night, but I can assure you
that Nate's face during our little karaoke session was very similar.
Not. Impressed.


I left mom and dad's that night a little teary. I was just so thankful for all the ways God has shown up unexpectedly - for fun songs and silly girlfriends, for the work God started in my heart when I was young, for my parents and all they did for my sisters and my friends growing up, for my family and all our additions, for our strength and our willingness to show up for each other in hard times, for our good health.

Things have never been perfect, but God has been so good to us in all things all along. Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment